Friday, June 13, 2008

alpha mom

Over on Alphamom (the woman who has made me so happy at the moment! I never thought I'd say that! Ha ha! Oh, I just crack myself up. Too bad it's only myself I crack up.) She has a great post on her recent trip to the detox New York pop-up store. Keep in mind the store is now closed.

"True Cleaning Confessions: what's your dirty little secret?

Did you get all OCD after your firstborn? I read that post-pregnancy, new moms get all germaphobic and that it's not their fault. Apparently, it's part of the typical hormonal changes that many women get, along with varying degrees of postpartum depression (PPD). Luckily both are highly treatable.

In my circle, we talk a lot about maternal depression as an issue, but not nearly enough about anxiety and OCD. Perhaps some health care professionals classify these as symptoms of depression? All I know is that I have had it all, anxiety, PPD and OCD as a new mom, as well as OCD on its own when I was a tween. I think when we see a germaphobe new mom, we poke fun rather than give her the supportive smile that she really needs.

So, when I stopped by Method Home's NYC pop-up store (it's temporary, sniff), I couldn't resist jumping into their Cleaning Confessional Booth and sharing my dirty little secret: when I had my newborn, I couldn't stop washing my hands! Oh dear, the amount of soap, paper towels, water and time I wasted. But, I guess, I just couldn't help myself. I feel much better now that my secret is out in the open.

If you need to get a dirty little secret off your chest, I suggest you stop by the Method Home store which is traveling around the country. It's in NYC's Soho neighborhood through June 7th, and then it's going to Minneapolis, MN and then Charlotte, NC."

Sha, sha! See, she says it right there! C.H.A.R.L.O.T.T.E. N.C. Yay!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails