Wednesday, July 23, 2008

method profiles - phil king

Brand new method profiles! If these were a reality show, we'd be on season three! But uh, it's not a reality show. (Hallelujah!)

Our method profile today brings us... Phil King! Let the chit-chat begin!

1+ Your name, please? And do you have a nickname at method?
Phil King. Nickname: Philthy.

2+ What was your first method lust?
Steel for Real, the artist formally know as Stainless Steel. Never cleaned a cooker in my life until using this with one of the microfibre cloths (something else I am rather fond of.)

3+ What brought you to method, the company? (How did you become interested in a career with method?)
I used to work in the same company in Australia as the genius that is Josh Handy, who is head of design at method. Through a ream of opportune occurrences, I ended up working with the team at method on developing and sourcing the microfibre cloths which were launched in 2006. After a year of sourcing / consulting, I was invited to be part of the start up team launching method in UK. Given that this meant leaving Seville, Spain, for life in London in the depths of winter, it’s obvious that I was already hooked on method.

4+ What is your title/dept. at method, and what is it you do there? How long have you been with method?
Chief Person Against Dirty, Hong Kong. I am responsible for looking after cool sustainable product development opportunities in Asia (eg bamboo derived packaging for the O-Mop) and trying to bring method to this part of the world, so one of my babies is looking after method in Australia. I have been with method since end 2006.

5+ What is the biggest thing you are currently doing, besides using method products, to help out the environment?
I reckon I am the only person in the whole of Hong Kong who rides a bike to work. It involves literally putting my life on the line. At home we are also serial recyclers – again, something which we have found takes a bit of extra effort in Hong Kong.  

6+ Who's the last person you've turned onto method?
The team from Hong Kong invest who helped us set up here. I definitely get more heat from them about getting our products into the shops here than I do from anyone in San Francisco.

7+ Which one best describes you as a person? Pink Grapefruit, French Lavender, Cucumber, or Go Naked?
Go Naked.

Thanks Phil! Seems like Hong Kong might need to get with the times, no? Hmm...

Check back Wednesdays for the next method profile! And be sure to catch up on previous method profiles by selecting from the sidebar list!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails