Friday, April 18, 2008

granite me the wisdom...

Yeah, yeah! You knew those bad titles would be back! Yes you did, don't lie! Lying isn't nice. (Unless it's... well, ok, no, it's not nice!) Anyway, I got a phone call this morning, and it was from method's granite polishing spray. You see, he was a little miffed that I hadn't given him any spotlight here on method lust. It was all "lil' bowl blu this, and squeaky green that!" Ok, ok, Mr. Daily, here's ya go! Geesh!

How about a quick, but informative review from Meredith:

"Granite countertops are quickly becoming the standard. We've loved the granite counters that the previous owners installed. After a year of hard use, though, they no longer feel as smooth as they first did. I set out to investigate the best granite cleaning products.

Granite is extremely hard, but it's still porous. If you've used Windex as a default granite cleaning product, you may need to re-seal the countertops earlier than the once-a-year recommendation. (Guilty as charged!)

Special care is needed when cleaning your granite countertops:

Wipe spills immediately. Grease can absorb.
Avoid abrasive granite cleaners, even "soft scrub" style pastes.
Don't choose acidic cleaners, like vinegar or citrus based formulas.

I have been pleased with Method brand's The Daily Granite, which you can pick up at Target. Method granite cleaner has a fresh smell that matches its all-natural marketing. Method left my counters smooth and streak-free, but it's expensive. With the messes we make, we could easily spray through a bottle every two weeks.

The best granite cleaning cloths are definitely microfiber. The ultra-smooth nap makes the granite streak-free."


What? Not enough for ya Mr. Daily? Man, you are an egomaniac! Ok, ok, how about another one!

"Anyone who has black granite knows that you can't use any old cleaner on it. It'll show streaks and look just as dirty as if you hadn't cleaned it. Well, I've had the pleasure of having black granite in two houses now (honest, I do love it) and out of necessity I've become an expert in keeping it look good as the day it went in. The product I've come to trust the most to get the job done is Method Daily Granite.

This cleaning product from Method is actually designed for both Marble and Granite. Of course, like all Method products, it's formulated with the environment in mind, as it contains biodegradable surfactants derived from corn and coconut. Ideally, you should use a microfiber cloth with this product (less wasteful than paper!). Method does sell a separate companion microfiber cloth, but I have plenty on hand, so I have not used the one they sell.

Daily Granite comes in a 12 ounce spray bottle with a trigger handle pump. It is a little spendy, considering the bottle is pretty small. But I love this stuff, so I'm (willing to splurge) every 4 weeks or so for a new one. I should add that I have a lot of granite counter space in my kitchen, probably 3-4 times the amount that I had in my old home. If your kitchen is smaller, this bottle probably would last easily 2-3 months. I use it primarily after dinner when my counter gets the messiest.

I have used other "green" granite sprays. But what makes Mehod Daily Granite more appealing is its wonderful scent. Method describes it as orchard blossom. It's a pleasant light floral scent that isn't cloying or so sweet like some floral scents in cleaning products that have the tendency to give me a headache.

You should know that Daily Granite isn't designed to be a counter sanitizer. Its purpose is to give your counter a nice shine without any streaking. And that it does very well. Its consistency is pretty much like glass cleaner, although it's clear and not blue. In my experience, however, it isn't very good in cutting through heavy messes on its own. So if you need to cut through dried-on messes, you're best off (using another product), and then as a finishing step, use Daily Granite.

When I first got granite counters in my old home I tried to see if I could get by without using a granite spray, opting for a traditional cleaning spray instead. I soon learned I needed a spray such as Daily Granite. It really is a necessity for me, especially since black granite is probably the worst when it comes to showing streaks. Despite its high cost, I would still recommend this product. Granite is an investment and what's the point of having it if it doesn't look good. Daily Granite will keep your precious granite looking great and you'll be the envy of all your neighbors."

There ya go. Never again shall you be taken for... granite. Ba-dum. HSN.com currently has a great deal on a 6-piece method granite cleaning kit, for $19.98!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails