Thursday, April 3, 2008

method to the madness?

Ya know, here at method lust, we're all about some great big method hugs and kisses! Dishin' it out left and right, lust lust lust! Come on now, you can just feel the love, can't you? Go on, feel it! Ok, now...

But you know what, it's time for a little tough lust. (Ok, but like really, we still all love ya to death, method. But listen for a moment, ok. It's not you, it's me... no, wait, that isn't it... hold on now.) I've gotten quite a few comments, current and in the past, concerning method's products/scents, and their "method Heaven" moments. Those would be the times method has discontinued a product, or scent. And the frequency of said actions. Just when you get excited about one of their products, or a great new scent, it's gone! Boom. Outta here. Man, and we're disappointed. So much so in fact, we've had to start a support group. Meetings on Thursdays, 8 PM, don't be late... oh heck, I'm late for everything, show up whenever you can. Anyway, I digress... (again.)

The latest example would be the bloq personal care line. That baby lasted all of one year. It debuted April 2007. Oh great Green Mint, what will my life without you be like? Is a year long enough to figure out if a line sells well or not? Could a design change in the packaging have propelled it forward? (Mind you, I loved the packaging, but could see the issues the "everyday man/woman" might have with it. When it first debuted, I struggled with how to get it open, and I've seen others in the aisles with the same issues.) Couldn't a line remain, but the scents change (similar to what they do with the hand washes?)

And what about scents? Lemongrass - that lasted for about three minutes (the way my brain works anyway.) People are a little worried about poor Ginger Yuzu right now (given the recent clearances at Target); a surprising number of people are wanting the Fig aircare scent back, though last I heard it would not be making a return (even for the Fall edition line they present each year.) method dish cubes, man they rocked! Where did they go? And moreso, why? Nothing has ever "replaced" them. I could go on with examples, but hey, we all know what we loved and continue to long for, just like the lingering lovers of our past. Wishing they'd make a return, sitting for days on the couch, watching sappy chic-flicks, crying into our popcorn, hoping at any moment mint dish soap would be calling on the other end of the cellphone, knowing it wasn't going to happen, curling into a ball in the corner of the bed... oh ok, uhm, sorry, went a bit far there, didn't I?

Now some of method's items are limited releases (the Holiday line, the Fall line (to which the Fig scent did fit in, unfortunately, etc.) and sometimes items disappear from store shelves, and they're not discontinued. It's the stores option to simply not carry an item (which is why wet dry sheets can't be found at Target! Thanks, Target! Grr.) But I have heard people discuss how method does seem to discontinue products/scents with regularity, and "if they're not careful, they may lose some of their customers who lose faith in knowing their favorite products will stick around." I know if I go into a store, and pick up, say a Dove bar of soap, two years from now that Dove bar of soap will still be around to pick up again (a new bar, you know; and not that it'll take me two years to use a bar of soap, mind you. Oh, you know what I mean!)

How do you think the "Big Brands" stack up? Do they discontinue their products on a short timeline level? Or do they stick it out longer? Does a smaller company have more leeway to discontinue items and bring out something else without a consumer backlash? Do you think this is a problem for method, or do you think it promotes trying new products/scents? What are your thoughts?

...oh mint dish soap? Why won't you call? WHY?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit that this is a concern for me too, Mr. Where Am I Going To Get Mint Shaving Cream Now. I'd imagine a year is enough time to figure out the popularity of a product, but I think that we've mostly seen this on method's personal care stuff.

The cleaners, on the other hand, have been *pretty* stable over time. I've always bought pink grapefruit dish soap, and still do. I've always bought mint bathroom cleaner... et cetera. Maybe it's me picking the safe scents, I'm not sure.

Nathan Aaron said...

Well, Paul, Mint is method's villian. They kill it everytime. lol I mean, we got mint dish soap, rosemary mint floorcare, Green Mint body care, etc. (Ok, so when you lay them out in a list, it doesn't look as bad, but still.) I LOVE mint, and it never lasts at method. The only two products that survive is eucalyptus mint (which has been removed from the aircare line) but honestly, I'm not a fan of that scent; and peppermint vanilla during the Holidays (which again, I know, I don't really like. Way too little mint, way too much vanilla. lol) so maybe it's just me being picky. But man, that old school mint dish soap rocked my world.

Hey, I have a weird question, has your Green Mint shaving cream ever "gone sour"? I don't know if this is a product problem, or what? And maybe it's been solved, but when it first came out, a couple of my shaving creams would go nasty smelling near the end of using them. Like slight rotten eggs smelling. And I'd check them out at the store, and some in Target would smell fine, but some would have that same scent. I'm not sure if it was a natural ingredient in the product, or what? But it's keeping me from back stocking the shaving cream at the moment. (Though I'm sure I'll go crazy and buy it all up anyway.) I was just curious if you had this issue at all, or not? It's not on all of them, just some.

Anonymous said...

Definitely haven't had them gone sour. Thus far!

Anonymous said...

I know! I hate the way things disappear from the method line. I have a major stockpile of all things method that I buy whenever something I love goes on clearance. As for the mint dish soap, I totally love(d) the stuff. I know you live in NC, so here's a question/tip. Have you checked out your local Linens 'N Things (assuming you have one close)? I discovered a few method products in their cleaning section about six months ago. I make a special trip inside now because they sell the dish soap in the "bowling pin" bottle, which is the best designed bottle ever (yay, Karim!!). Anyway, I just went in a different location today than usual, because of errands, and found mint dish soap!! Heaven only knows how long its been there. I bought every bottle they had. When I got to the register, they rang up $1 each. I plan to check out other LNT's in the Charlotte area to see if there are any remaining bottles. You should give it a try. Good Luck!

Nathan Aaron said...

Thanks for the tip, Steve! I'd be at Linens N' Things right now! If it wasn't midnight. lol I did go there (I knew they carried method a long time ago, they used to have the grapefruit mandarin spray and such, in smaller "thinner" bottles than the normal ones you'd find at Target, etc.) and I did buy a mint bowling pin bottle there once. It sure wasn't $1 though! (And yes, I think they've literally been there forever! But hey, who cares! I'm so checking it out tomorrow to see if there are any here.) Are you in Charlotte? I'm in Greensboro, that's so close! Too cool!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm in good old Charlotte, NC. I found your blog about a week before method featured it on their blog (which is crazy, I'm never the first to know about anything!) Are there any other places that sell method in NC. I shop Bloom for Morning Bloom laundry detergent, Linens 'N Things for Cucumber (or Mint!!) dish soap, Office Depot for Sweet Water hand sanitizer, and Target for everthing else. (You know I love a product when I go in a store (Office Depot) because of that one item.) I hate when Target starts selling something method, then stops after I'm hooked (which is how I discovered method at these other shoppes.) Best of luck finding more Mint dish soap.

Related Posts with Thumbnails